'Comparison is the thief of joy' I love this quote, it is such a beautiful and powerful combination of words given to us by Theodore Roosevelt. I am quite the jealous type and I am very aware of it which in a way helps me improve upon that aspect of myself, but also makes me retreat into my shell so that other people wont notice my green-face of envy.
I do blame society entirely for this, we are conditioned to compete with everything and everyone, which is INSANE! We're taught to achieve the highest grades and we're taught to be disappointed if our results aren't 100%. We are not taught to love our strengths and we are not taught to love our differences. We are compared to one another as numbers and percentages not individuals; 'Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.' (Albert Einstein).
But I know it isn't just comparing grades that is a poison in our society, it's the obsession with being 'more attractive', whatever the hell that is. Our minds have been molded to think that we have to put others down to build ourselves up, we've been told that if we're not one person's preference we are nobody's. It is so wrong. It is so so wrong because 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.
What I'm trying to say is that comparing yourself to others does nothing but hurt you and the other person involved, so why do it?
No comments:
Post a Comment